BRF KIT GUIDE
Supplies you’ll need
Included in your order:
• Sterilized BRF Jar
• Fruiting bag
• Bag clip
• Spray bottle
• Casing Layer
• Alcohol wipes
• 10-20 ml Liquid Culture or Spore syringe (see below for purchasing info)
• 70% isopropyl alcohol
• Latex gloves
• Still air box or flow hood
Where to Buy Liquid Culture and Spores:
You can find these items available from many online vendors.
We recommend sporepeople.com. Use code SURF10 for 10% off!
Step 1: Sanitize your work area
This step is crucial, as any amount of mold or bacteria can contaminate your grow.
1. Turn off any fans, air conditioners, or heaters in the room.
2. Thoroughly wash your hands before putting on gloves.
3. Clean your hands and workstation with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
4. (Recommended) Perform the following step inside a still air box or in front of a flow hood.
Step 2: Inoculation
Use 5-20ml of spore or liquid culture solution per jar. The more you use the faster it will colonize!
1. Clean all four injection ports using the included alcohol wipes.
2. Attach the sterile needle to your syringe. If necessary, sterilize it using a flame and allow it to cool.
3. Using a 10ml syringe, insert the needle into one of the injection ports and inject the jar with 2.5ml of liquid culture or spores. Repeat this process with the remaining three injection ports.
Tip: For optimal spore distribution, angle your needle outward and inject the liquid between the side of the jar and the substrate.
4. Store the jar in an area away from direct sunlight, off the ground, with a temperature range of 72-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Note that a temperature in the high 70s to low 80s will result in the fastest colonization time.
5. Store your jar until the outside is fully white and there are no uncolonized sections. At this stage, allow the mycelium to consolidate the center of the jar for an additional 3-4 days.
• If you're using liquid culture, it will be ready to fruit in 3-4 weeks.
• If you're using spores, it will be ready to fruit in 5-6 weeks.
Step 3: Initiate fruiting stage
Now that your jar is fully colonized it's time to begin fruiting.
1. Remove the lid and take off the top layer of vermiculite with a clean spoon.
2. Rinse your cake under cold water and set on a paper towel, then clean out the lid and jar.
3. Place the cake back into the cleaned jar. Fill the jar with water, enough to submerge the cake with water when you out the lid back on.
4. Allow your cake to rehydrate for 24 hours.
5. Remove the lid and pour off any excess water.
6. Cover the top of the cake with the included casing layer and mist it well.
7. Slide the jar inside the fruiting bag without the lid and secure the top with the bag clip.
8. Place your grow kit in an area with some airflow, away from direct sunlight, and at room temperature.
3. Your substrate will begin to pin in about 5-7 days; after that, expect fully grown mushrooms within 3-5 days.
Step 4: Harvest mushrooms!
The best time to harvest your mushrooms is once the cap begins to open and the veil tears.
1. Unseal the bag and carefully slide the grow kit and mushrooms out
2. Harvest your mushrooms by lightly twisting and pulling them at the base of the stems.
3. (Recommended) Dry your mushrooms using a dehydrator.
4. Store your dried mushrooms in an airtight container with a silica gel pack.
For Multiple Harvests: Repeat step 3 for up to two more flushes!
If you have any additional questions feel free to reach out to email@example.com.